Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Random Recipient


I pulled up to the drive through window and tried to hand my $12.47 to the cashier. He held up one hand, smiled and said, "The car ahead already paid for you." I glanced up to see only tail lights disappearing around the corner.

I was the recipient of a random act of kindness. I had heard of these but never thought much about them.

I parked the car and my teenage son and I began taking out our food - our free food. It was a humbling experience.

We stopped to thank God for our meal and for the mystery giver. It hit me that this was a picture of grace; I received something that I did not deserve.

Any comparisons to God's grace given to us through Christ ended there. I had the money and could have bought my meal. I could never purchase my salvation from God. This act of kindness was random but God's gift to the world is not random. It is absolutely deliberate.

For God so loved the World that He gave His one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

And His gift of grace is not offered to a select few for He does not want anyone to perish. 2 Pet 3:9

It is amazing how an act of kindness multiplies. I immediately started looking around for someone to bless. As I drove home, a car pulled into the center lane wanting to enter traffic ahead of me. Normally I would have ignored them but this night I slowed and signalled for them to go ahead of me.

Kindness is definitely contagious and it beats H1N1.

2 comments:

  1. Good post, my friend. I'm so thankful for His grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized that your posts quit showing up in my blogger reading list. I thought you were taking a blog-break, but now I see I was just missing your posts!

    What a beautiful picture you've added to the top! :) That is a sweet family picture.

    So glad to find you again....I'm off to catch up on your recent posts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comment. I look forward to reading what you wrote.