Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Out the Door

With four children ages 2 to 12, getting out the door on time took planning. I didn't realize just how involved my "get out the door" ritual was until I kept a friend's son for the day.

He was an only child. When I gave the first call of "time to go," he took me seriously. I walked through the kitchen five minutes later and found him with shoes and back-pack on, standing by the back door, ready to exit.

"Oh, no! That was just the thirty minute warning!" My kids knew the first call meant: brush your teeth, comb your hair, find your shoes, file through the bathroom and grab a book. The older siblings helped the two-year-old and five-year- old. It was a half hour process.

I told our young guest to have a seat- we weren't leaving for twenty-five minutes. Herding worms out the door and into the van was a little more involved than loading a single boy.

What is your "get out the door" routine? Have you found something that works for your family to help smooth the way? Be sure and share them in the comment section.


1 comment:

  1. Fun post! I remember saying "Hurry up, put on your shoes, we have to go!" so often that I was convinced if I were to die young, my family would have it inscribed on my tombstone.
    Blessings =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comment. I look forward to reading what you wrote.