Thursday, August 26, 2010

Spiritual Anorexia

What do you see when you look in the mirror? What do you believe about yourself? Some women have spiritual anorexia. 

Anorexia is a deadly disorder that effects mostly young women. When they look in the mirror, they see a distorted view of themselves. No matter how thin they are in reality, they see themselves as fat. They begin starving themselves--they quit eating--often until they die. 

How do you measure your life? Do you constantly give in to the belief that you are a failure? Do you ever feel like a huge red rubber stamp has emblazoned the word, "Loser", across your forehead? What measuring stick are you using? Certainly not God's!

From the day Eve first gave the serpent a foothold into her heart with his half truths and outright lies, he has been trying to capture ground in our minds, as well. He doesn't have the nicknames: Father of Lies, Accuser, or Deceiver for no reason. His sole purpose is to darken God's truth and light in our spirits. 

He hates God's love for us. He hates God's redemption of us. He hates the power God gives us to overcome in our lives. He can't win over God outright, so he attacks us, His children. 

Sadly, once we have kids, spiritual anorexia seems to have a 100% rate of being passed onto our children. Our kids will believe what they see in our belief system about ourselves rather than what we tell them. 

My kids have often heard me say, "Quit talking about my kid like that!"  I'm not talking to their friends or another adult. I am talking to them-- when they slide into the habit of putting themselves down. They will comment on their looks, their grades, or their talents and quickly rubber stamp, "Loser" across their foreheads.   

I'm here as a believing parent to correct their thinking during those tumultuous years of growing up. I hug them and point out the truth of what God believes about them and what I believe about them. They grin and I think secretly love to hear me yell, "Quit talking about my kid like that!" 

I wonder-- if we listen during those times when our hearts rage against us with the lies of "failure" or "loser"--might we not hear another voice.  Our heavenly father saying-- or yelling, "Quit talking about my kid like that!"  And He is talking about you, His precious child.

For the LORD your God is living among you.
He is a mighty savior.
He will take delight in you with gladness.
With his love, he will calm all your fears.
He will rejoice over you with joyful songs.
Zephaniah 3:17
What is your favorite love message from God to you from His Word?  Share it below. It will bless us all.
-------------------------------------

For more spiritual refreshment, visit Spiritual Sundays.

13 comments:

  1. This post was such an encouragement to me today, Rhodema. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Powerful Post! Our enemy's lies and deceptions are very cunning; we must always be on the alert.
    One of my favorite promises from God is found in Genesis 15:1 where God tells Abram that HE is his shield and great reward. I feel HE wants all of His children to know the same, including me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you found this encouraging, Becky. Yes! it is God who is our shield. He wants us to walk under that protection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post...Thank you.
    Blessings,
    Virginia

    "There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
    ~1 John 4:18~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post. Gives us a lot to reflect on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an important message. So many lives have been so messed up by parents who put their children down or do not try to change their attitude when they put themselves down. Thank you for sharing this encouraging post.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great post! As much as I hate to admit it, I have been guilty of doing just this very thing. Thanks for the encouragement and for reminding us where those thoughts come from.:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhodema, this is a very important message for anyone raising a family today. Indeed, it is an important message for us all. As God's children we have the stamp of approval upon us and we are loved by the Creator of the universe. This really should make a big difference in how we see ourselves. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    Blessings,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like that when you tell your kids to stop talking about my kid that way! I am going to use that saying with my grandchildren.
    Thank-you,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  11. great post..My love message from God..."don't be afraid..I'll never leave you.I'll never give up on you."

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great post and one we all need to take to heart!
    One of my favorite verses is found in Isaiah 40:31
    Those who hope in the Lord with renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good Morning Rhodema Sweetie...
    What a beautiful blessing to my heart this morning. During Miracle Weekend I decided to visit the Spiritual Sunday blogs. Oh my have I ever been blessed sweet friend. Your story is just what the BIG GUY ordered. I have 8 grandchildren and the (4) oldest will definitely be hearing this story, and I will be definitely using the phrase: "Quit talking about my kid like that." I will keep you posted on the results for sure.

    Thank you for blessing my heart this morning. I leaving "HAPPY" in heart for sure.

    Please stop by Country Wings in Phoenix (my blog) and leave a comment this weekend. Guideposts magazine is donating a dollar for every comment left during the miracle weekend. I would so love to get enough donations for several miracle makeovers to happen. I know they are out there just waiting to be discovered.

    Many hugs sweet friend...Sherry

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comment. I look forward to reading what you wrote.