How many children had picked this same hiding place over the years? I looked up at the ancient tower overhead. Had other children played hide and seek or perhaps run from real enemies in this castle courtyard?
I thought every child played in Medieval strongholds for grade school recess. I didn't realize what a rare experience this was until I grew up. only because my American family loved in Germany for a few years did I play in castle courtyards.
The name of the LORD
is a strong tower
the righteous runs into it
and is safe.
Proverbs 18:10 NAS
The verse intrigued me when I first heard it in high school as a new student of the Bible. I had seen ancient turrets and the massive doors that closed and protected at their base.
I did not understand how towers were the same as the name of the LORD. But then, I did not really know God, yet.
I came to learn how God revealed Himself to those He lead through many different names. In the same way I have many names: mom, honey, daughter, sister, teacher, personal shopper, taxi driver..... God has many names associated with His roles in our life.
When we are sick he is our healer. When we are weak he is our strength. If we are lonely, He is the one who is present. Below is a list of names God revealed as His own given to His followers and you:----------------------
OLD TESTAMENT NAMES FOR GOD
- ELOHIM......Genesis 1:1, Psalm 19:1
- meaning "God", a reference to God's power and might.
- ADONAI......Malachi 1:6
- meaning "Lord", a reference to the Lordship of God.
- JEHOVAH--YAHWEH.....Genesis 2:4
- a reference to God's divine salvation.
- JEHOVAH-MACCADDESHEM.......Exodus 31:13
- meaning "The Lord thy sanctifier"
- JEHOVAH-ROHI......Psalm 23:1
- meaning "The Lord my shepherd"
- JEHOVAH-SHAMMAH.......Ezekiel 48:35
- meaning "The Lord who is present"
- JEHOVAH-RAPHA.........Exodus 15:26
- meaning "The Lord our healer"
- JEHOVAH-TSIDKENU......Jeremiah 23:6
- meaning "The Lord our righteousness"
- JEHOVAH-JIREH.........Genesis 22:13-14
- meaning "The Lord will provide"
- JEHOVAH-NISSI.........Exodus 17:15
- meaning "The Lord our banner"
- JEHOVAH-SHALOM........Judges 6:24
- meaning "The Lord is peace"
- JEHOVAH-SABBAOTH......Isaiah 6:1-3
- meaning "The Lord of Hosts"
- JEHOVAH-GMOLAH........Jeremiah 51:6
- meaning "The God of Recompense"
- EL-ELYON..............Genesis 14:17-20,Isaiah 14:13-14
- meaning "The most high God
- EL-ROI................Genesis 16:13
- meaning "The strong one who sees"
- EL-SHADDAI............Genesis 17:1,Psalm 91:1
- meaning "The God of the mountains or God Almighty"
- EL-OLAM...............Isaiah 40:28-31
- meaning "The everlasting God"
For more spiritual enrichment, visit Spiritual Sundays.