Saturday, February 19, 2011

No Instant Fruit

Spring is popping out already in East Texas. Two weeks ago I was snowed in at a Dallas apartment and today I'm looking at my daffodils shooting up in the yard. 

I got carried away as I began mentally planning which flowers to plant in my yard. I wrote on a friend's facebook wall that I would grow sweet peas this spring—just like the ones her mom always had in her yard when I was growing up. I have the best memories of those sweet smelling flowers each year.

Too late. She reminded me that they had to be put in the grown last fall. "Put them in your September to-do list," she said.


Ohhh! So like life. So like the fruit of the spirit in my life. How many times have I needed some love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness or self-control—and I found I had not planned ahead. I hadn't put fruit planting on my to-do list at the right season. 

Seasons in my life when I need extra fruit don't always arrive on a pre-announced schedule. I don't know when hard times, storms or just weak moments will come. 

I need to invest in God's spiritual gardening plan before I have a need. I need to add time in His Word on my to-do list. I need to commit to a relationship building prayer life on a daily basis. I need to sit in His presence and learn to hear what He says to me daily. 

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water, 
   which yields its fruit in season 
and whose leaf does not wither— 
   whatever they do prospers.
Psalm 1:3  

Father, help us commit daily to do what it takes to grow your spiritual fruit in our lives. Give us hearts to love time in your Word and in your presence. Give us ears to hear your voice and eyes to see your actions in our lives. AMEN. 

--------------------------------------

For more spiritual encouragement visit Spiritual Sundays. 


7 comments:

  1. Yes, we are thinking alike today. And I'm so guilty of not planning ahead.

    Blessings,
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I needed to be reminded of this today, too. Thank you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so true. We need to store up scripture for future use, to be prepared to rebuke the enemy with the word of God and to give a word of comfort or counsel when the Spirit prompts. I can find my Fruit of the Spirit bank running on reserves just when I need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post touched my heart.So many times I missed out of special flowers in the garden because I didn't plan ahead. I don't want to miss out on any of the Fruit of the Spirits.
    Thank-you for a well needed post today.
    God Bless,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good observations, Rhodema. I think we get so use to instant everything that we find it hard to wait for anything anymore. Some things just can't be rushed and must be planned for well in advance. Thank you for sharing these truths. BTW I remember sweet peas growing in our yard when I was in the 3rd grade. They certainly made an impression on me too.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful thing to read and take to heart. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I did not plan ahead either. I am reminded of my childhood days where my parents started to plan for Sunday church on Saturday. One thing was getting a bath , picking out clothes, and going to bed early.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comment. I look forward to reading what you wrote.