Saturday, March 6, 2010

Joyfully Resolute

As the disciples approached Jerusalem for the last time with Jesus, they started realizing what lay ahead. He told them plainly, "We are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and teachers of the law. They will condemn him to death and will hand him over to the Gentiles, who will mock him and spit on him, flog him and kill him."

This was not what Jesus' followers wanted to hear. I discovered a treasure this week in a verse I've read many times.

They were on their way up to Jerusalem,
with Jesus leading the way,
and the disciples were astonished,
while those who followed were afraid.
Mark 10:32 NIV


I considered the members of Christ's band and their responses. In the face of disaster, some were in shock, others were afraid, but Jesus lead the way. When Jesus calls me to do hard things and obey when I do not want to, I have choices in my reaction. I can allow myself to be paralyzed with fear. I can run around wringing my hands and say, "I just can't believe this is happening.!" Or, I can step resolutely and quickly do the Father's will.


Let us fix our eyes on Jesus,
the author and perfecter of our faith,
who for the joy set before him,
endured the cross
and despised the shame...
Hebrew 12:2


Visit Spiritual Sundays for more inspiration.

11 comments:

  1. Too often, I want to lead the way. You are so right...we just need to step aside and let Jesus lead.

    Good post...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great message! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were just talking about this verse this week, but now you have provided something new to see. How wonderful! Thanks for the encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful advice, Rhodema. We definitely need to keep our eyes on Jesus. Thank you for this reminder.
    Blessings,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful words. Thank you for reminding us to keep our eyes on Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my comment went into cyber space.....
    This is a very good post...I often find myself responding with the first two choices...not the best choices! Thanks for giving me food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aloha..
    Thank you for sharing your heart with me on my blog, I was blessed by your visit. I count it a blessing and joy when I meet new sisters on my blogging journey. This post is a wonderful reminder and something I will ponder on this week. During times of struggles it is so easy to lose focus and allow panic or fear to take the place of trust.

    God Bless... Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I follow sometimes, only to get distracted again. That's why I'm glad you ended your post with Hebrews 12:2. That's the only way to go, focus on Him and get the job done for His glory. Thank you for this. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's funny how we read scriptures over and over and each time we read it different. Thank-you for this scripture today.
    Blessings,
    Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a wonderful ,true revelation !
    Blessings,
    ~Myrna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your comment. I look forward to reading what you wrote.